Body detoxification is not just beneficial for the body – but it also rejuvenates a mind. It is a physical, mental and emotional transformation.
Body detoxification is accomplished primarily through 2 ways – exercise and a proper diet. Exercise may comprise of taking long walks, yoga, trekking, hiking and other floor exercises.
However, exercise needs to be complimented with a befitting diet to ensure efficient and complete detoxification.
A detox diet essentially comprises of wholesome foods which are natural, tasty and have good nutritive value.
Whenever you go shopping, make sure to make a healthy grocery list. This is an excellent habit as it allows you to plan your meals in advance and also to create a desirable balance in your diet.
A great way to go about forming your healthy grocery list is to avoid fried and packaged items as much as possible. These foods are packed with false calories and sodium.
They promote the growth of free radicals in the body. Free radicals are atoms with a surplus negative charge.
These react with oxygen in the body and cause the body to age faster. Vitamin A, C and E are known to mitigate the process of aging as by reacting with the free radicals and consequently preventing them from oxidizing.
Thus, foods which are high in these vitamins are known as antioxidants. Thus, a diet rich in antioxidants is indispensable for effective detoxification of the body. Below is a list of 6 super foods which should be at the top of your healthy grocery list:
1) Fresh vegetables: Make fresh vegetables your best friends and you will never suffer from another disease in your life. Vegetables are packed with vitamins and they are also high in fibre. Thus, they keep you full for a longer time without compromising on calorie intake. The best vegetables are tomatoes, carrots, beet roots, cucumbers, cabbage, cauliflower, green beans, broccoli, squash and so on. Also, make sure to include a healthy dose of spinach and other green vegetables are they are high in iron. Remember Popeye?
2) Fresh fruits: Citrus fruits such as oranges and grapefruit should definitely have a top priority in your healthy grocery list as they have they contain the elusive vitamin C. Watermelons, apples, grapes, pears, mangoes, bananas, papayas are all excellent sources of vitamins as well as carbs. Sure, some fruits are sweet but they are way better than eating cookies, pastries, candies and other sweet stuff.
3) Green Tea: Excellent source of antioxidants – negligible calories!
4) Pulses, lentils, beans: These are a must have on your healthy grocery list as they serve as excellent sources of protein as well as fibre – especially if they are sprouted. Chick peas, mung beans etc. make a tasty addition to any salad!
5) Fish and other sea food: These are packed with proteins and they also contain omega 3 fatty acids. However, these foods are high in calories and are best consumed in moderation.
6) Nuts: These are high in fat but they contain ‘good fats’. Clinical research indicates that eating small portions of nuts is beneficial for cardiac health. Also, some vitamins are fat soluble and thus it is recommended to include small quantities of fat in your diet.
It is best to avoid meat when on a detox diet – especially red meat.
However, you may include lean white meat such as chicken breasts in your healthy grocery list as they serve as excellent sources of protein.
Always poach or bake meat instead of frying. Meat stock can also be used for preparing soups.
If at all you use oil – then opt for a high quality olive or coconut oil as it is high in monounsaturated or ‘good’ fats.
The most important step to a healthier life is the change to a healthy diet.